Are you a young adult between the ages of 19 and 30? Know a young adult between the ages of 19 and 30? Tell them about the YAV Program! As Pastor Henry can attest, it changes lives!
Want to put your faith into action?
Want to grow as a leader in Christian service?
Want to see what God is doing in the world while serving a local community?
The Young Adult Volunteer program (a ministry of Presbyterian Mission Agency) is a one-year service opportunity for young adults from 19 to 30 years. YAVs live in intentional Christian community, deepening and developing their faith while serving alongside partners in sites across the United States and around the world. YAVs serve for one academic year, August—July, as they explore God’s calling in their lives. The deadlines are April 1 and June 1, 2017.
Program Sites include –
New York City
(NOTE: Deadline for International Sites has passed for this year)
South Korea—Not open for 2017–18 YAV year
Volunteers are placed in community agencies or local churches, with jobs depending on the needs of partners and the skills of the Young Adult Volunteer. YAVs are exposed to some of the hardest problems in the world—poverty, violence and reconciliation, and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ—while living and reflecting with other volunteers on the meaning and motivation of their Christian faith.
What do YAVs do? Typically, they participate in the following:
- Serve for one year in communities of need in the United States and around the world
- Meet regularly for prayer and Bible study
- Work with mentors to explore and grow in their expression of their Christian faith
- Build each other up as Disciples of Jesus Christ
- They are supported in their faith journey through orientation and an end-of-term debriefing event